Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins releases today...not sure I care though

Came a time long ago that I was ITCHING to jump into this game. However, as with most titles OTHER than WoW I just do not find myself drawn to it.

The problem is that MMO's have spoiled me to the point where I feel like if I play a single player game I am getting NOTHING accomplished. Instead I feel guilty for not logging into WoW and getting things done on one of my level 80 characters.

So it is that Dragon Age launches today, or should I say is shipped, and people will probably flock to it on the consoles as well as the PC.

Now though I find myself not interested because I just don't have the time to sink into it or get into the mechanics or gameplay when I really just want to log into WoW and get some things done.

dragon-age-origins-20080714005226759


IF my characters were considered by myself to be DONE and complete in WoW then maybe I would log in less. Since I am returning to the game after a 7 month layoff and I am way behind the curve I find myself plenty busy with tons of things to do in WoW for its 14.99 subscription rate rather than dumping 50 bucks on a game I would not touch.

I cannot be the only one thinking this right?

Anyway, here are some early thoughts on the game as well as a link to the typical "day of release review" from Gamespot:

Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1

Various comments around the web:
Firstly let me say that this is a great game in many ways. Truly I think people will be talking about DA:O for years to come. There's a lot they've done right in this game and the level of polish that comes across is fantastic. I think this game will have a huge fan base and tons of mods coming out.

However let me say something bad about the game.. It's definitely of the modern type of 'RPG on rails' type of game with lots of lengthy dialog sessions. It's an adventure RPG, as Risen was. But I like DA:O's combat far far more than Risen because Risen's was (as long as I played it) just frustrating and unfair and unfun. But know that DA:O uses a dynamic enemy generating system to keep every battle at the same difficulty so you can die in any battle. The pause system is great. I think the combat should be slowed down by 40% or so though, especially at lower levels.

Unlike the great RPG's of the 80's and early 90's, this game has a lot of obligatory dialog and story telling, even more than Risen, I think. In that sense, it isn't an RPG. But the rest of the game is RPG, yes.

Let me say one thing though, I LOVE the look and feel of the user interface. It's so clean, flashy, and has nice sounds. It's not hard to find what you want to find either. The UI doesn't suffer consolitis.

More comments I found:
I received the game yesterday via a pre-order from the EA Store.

I am of the opinion that story telling (good to great story telling) is what differentiates a great RPG from a mediocre one, but again, that is just my own opinion.

Having said that, the linear feel that was alluded to is there. This is no Oblivion. Each area has a canned feel about it, which may not bode well for some.

The Bioware formula is there. If you have played KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc, you know what to expect. A story driven RPG. It is frankly, too early for me to tell if the game will meet the expectations of the gaming community at large. But I am enjoying it, the little I have played it thus far.

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that a lot of games are trying to include the MMO feel into them - perhaps to try and capture people like yourself who feel that they are not accomplishing anything persistent by completing a single campaign.

    I saw a review of Borderlands (I think this is what it's called) and I couldn't believe how much of it reminded me of WoW - leveling up, looting weapon, group play, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok girl first of all. "omg its just like WOW it has leveling and looting and group play no WAY!." Borderlands is nothing like WOW . Borderlands is more like Fallout 3 only with Damage counts and more stats. I mean yes it does have a class driven leveling system like Wow but thats about it. and as for angry gamer dude. did u not see the effects of The other two expansions?? STOP PLAYING UNTIL CATACLYSM COMES OUT. ALL Ur fancy purples and ur kool dungeons equips will become shit when u have to trek through 30 more lvl 81-85 quests and get more greens and blues from the 5 man dungeons just so u can spend endless hours raiding the lvl 85 dungeons and getting their purps which will probably RAPE the lvl 80 tier 9 and above gears. It happened in BC it happened in LC IT WILL HAPPEN IN CC. aka Cataclysm

    ReplyDelete