Friday, January 29, 2010

How to use ground tactics in Star Trek Online

Many people say the ground combat in Star Trek Online is shallow but I disagree. By equipping the right weapons and mix and matching the gear on your away team and having your science officer on passive you can go far. Take your time and get your gear on your officers straightened out and don't forget to make your science officer heal by setting him to passive.Also you can pull around corners in STO just like any other MMO. I also lay out turrets to help as well (I am an engineer).

Put that tricorder to use! Below is a video of me using sniping and grenade tactics as I go OFF the beaten path in a mission and farm some Klingons for skill points and maybe some gear. Remember if the planet is kind of big scan for anomalies also. Don't leave without exploring everything! The video has text pop ups that exlplain what I am doing.

As always all my videos are on our YouTube account here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/blunforce2010

7 comments:

  1. Awesome Video!! I cant wait to get in an give this game a try the more I see the more I like. From everything I read this game is the kind that if you invest a bit of time and think outside the MMO box that you will enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An easy trick is to use the Z key to switch weapons - if the special ability of your weapon is on CD, you can use that of the 2nd weapon right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is more like playing an RTS than an RPG, to me. I want those other crew members to be players, not pets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It is more like playing an RTS than an RPG, to me. I want those other crew members to be players, not pets."

    Nah not to me. I have watched those crew members grow in one night and equipped them, trained them, their faces pop up on missions on my quest logs and I do feel connected to them. Using them in that way in combat just makes the game more tactical. That doesn't even count space combat where I can call on their abilities. You have to simulate it somehow and I think this is the best way. Heck I even picked their names and designed their uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloody great video!

    It makes me happy that I'm planning on rolling Engineer too on release. Gotta love Starfleet issue grenades! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess, to me, I'm never going to enjoy a game that wants a monthly subscription for me to play by myself. The away team dynamics sound great... for a single player game. But if I'm paying a monthly fee for online access to an MMO, I want to play with other people for the majority of it, if not for all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] at The Banstick is a post about Away Team Tactics in the recently launched Star Trek Online.  It looks very cool. [...]

    ReplyDelete