Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pirates of the Burning Sea condenses

One of my predictions for last year was the closing of PoTBS. Not because I hate the game but mainly because it just is not doing well. Although my prediction was off, the game finally announced today that the population (or lack thereof) was finally being moved and servers were being reduced to 2.

http://www.burningsea.com/page/consolidation?cid=EM2508&_mid=2508&_rid=2508.2404.135329
Important Information Regarding Pirates of the Burning Sea™ Account

Ahoy, Pirates of the Burning Sea Captains!

To push things in the right direction, we've decided to condense the current population onto two servers. On March 5, 2010 at approximately 12:01 AM PST, we will close the following servers: Blackbeard, Defiant, and Rackham. Beginning on February 5, 2010 at approximately 12:01 AM PST, you can transfer your characters from the affected servers onto one of the two remaining servers, Antigua or Roberts. At this time, character creation will be disabled on the Blackbeard, Defiant, and Rackham servers. We hope these changes will provide you with an even more enjoyable Pirates experience.

That was the main gist of the email I got today in my inbox and I was surprised that the game is going to TWO servers. That is a huge reduction in what they had and should indeed pick up the community feel of the game. When I logged in to check and see how it was doing last month I was surprised that they had as many servers as they did. To me it seemed odd and rather like shooting themselves in the foot ala Warhammer Online.

This is also less confusing to a new player (if they have any) and removes the need to provide these really annoying "roll this nation and get a bonus" thing they had to do all the time. Heck who knows now maybe the game WILL pick up and become more lively. I never saw a single person when I played.

2 comments:

  1. They should drop to a single server and work on handling the load better. Start trying to make the game more "EVE on the High Seas" rather than "City of Heroes with boats".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two servers does look bad I agree, but I am going to enjoy the free play time they gave me this month!

    ReplyDelete