Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Rifting we will go go - then what?

So in a concerted effort to get back into MMO's I have been revisiting RIFT lately hoping to ignite the spark I lost over a year ago. While RIFT is about as generic a fantasy MMO you can get and does not offer up anything new I haven't seen before it is well polished and makes it tolerable.

The problem with fantasy MMO's is that I just don't care anymore, especially if they are new. They have a shelf life of a good population of about 6-9 months then burn out. RIFT for example will be dead when Star Wars launches. As it is right now there are few alts in RIFT that I can see being made and that is a bad sign. WoW remains the king as lame as it is nowadays. Other games have smaller populations but most of them are inhabited by level capped elitist snobs such as in EQ2 (a game more broken than ever).

So RIFT it is if I do not want to suffer through the throngs of retards in World of Warcraft. I still laugh at level capped RIFT players though as they take their dailies and little raiding instances so seriously. In a few months all of it will mean nothing as their cities go dead and the game loses a majority of the players it has due to being a clone of everything else on the market. I just cannot get excited about the lore and the end game. Do I really care if Regulos does this or that? Nah...not really. In EQ1 I DID care about what happened to Norrath. In WoW I DID care about killing the Lich King. Other than that I cannot think of one generic fantasy MMO with some cut and paste lore attempt that I can care about.

My necromancer is level 23, my warrior is level 28 but he is so boring I doubt I will go back to him. Lets see how far I can get this necro before Star Wars launches and I bid farewell to fantasy MMO's AT LAST. It has been since Tabula Rasa that I have been this excited over a sci fi MMO. I tried to get into Star Trek but knew from beta and from the fact that Cryptic had it that it would be destined to fail and go free to play.

Ah well at least my rogue pet looks cool. The MMO population continues to get watered down and dumber with age as more and more of these types of games get released and thin the population down to noobies that want things the easy way. RIFT is no exception but at least it WORKS as opposed to some other games (anything by Sony Online for example).

Expect more Star Wars updates in the upcoming weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment