Sunday, May 19, 2013

Next up: Federation Commander

I used to play Star Fleet battles when I was younger. Back when my brain cells were still replicating and I was much wiser.

Now that I am older I am dumber and it takes me longer to learn things. Star Fleet Battles is way out of my realm of learning at this point. Just as Advanced Squad Leader was it would be fun for the basic stuff but learning anything that is realistic is just not possible. I just do not have it in me anymore to read giant tomes of gameplay literature like that anymore.

So Federation Commander is the only viable option.

This is a game by the same company but stripped down and more streamlined. You still get all the goodness but not all the annoyance...and time.


You can start with one of two starter sets: Romulan Border or Klingon Border. Being a fan of Romulans and their Roman ways I will of course be playing the better half of Vulcan gene oriented people.

You can find out about Federation Commander here:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/fed_command.shtml

There is a free print to play demo here:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/FCFirstMissions.pdf

And tons of resources here:

http://starfleetgames.com/playerresources.shtml

The game looks great. As a former Battletech and Star Fleet Battles player this is right up my alley. I will be playing with Crabby Old Gamer but hope to find others. That search will probably be futile as most are in the Chicago Burbs area but who knows?


No comments:

Post a Comment