Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Thoughts on Superbowl 48 from a Bronco fan

In all the 4 Superbowls I have watched this team lose I my lifetime this is the most unprepared and embarrassing I have ever seen them play. 

They have some major work to do in the off season or they will be just another team led by Elways arm errr... Manning ...once again if they get back the SB. 

I haven’t been so disgusted since the 55-10 debacle. I have seen a lot of Superbowl losses being a Bronco fan but this was the most astonishing. Sloppy tackling, terrible play calling and God awful preparation made us look like fools. Horrible 3rd down playcalling in the game, 4 people missing tackles on mostly unknown Seattle receivers, some of the worst special teams play ever in Bronco history and a confused/baffled offensive line were just some of the lowlights.

As as a serious fan I find this unacceptable. It would also help if players like Von Miller thought more about the team than themselves in the off season and stopped doing drugs and being idiots.

You cannot win a title on offense alone. You cannot have a defense that is largely terrible and go into the Superbowl with the gameplan they had. The Broncos defense, terrible all year, was only not mentioned because the team relied on putting up 40-50 points a game to win. However once you leave the typically weak AFC and play NFC teams you will see quite different results. 

Of all the teams the Broncos would have to play the teams that knew how to stop Manning and play against the weak Bronco secondary easily beat us this year. These consisted of playoff teams like New England, Indianapolis and San Diego. It will only get worse as well as Kansas City will learn from their mistakes and build a team around stifling Manning. 

I don't talk a lot of trash about my team. I am a realist. I look at the angles, the players, the facts and how things match up. I will be honest in that when the Seahawks beat the 49'ers I knew this was the worst possible matchup we could want in the Superbowl. I even tweeted this. Sadly it was worse than I thought. 

Much like teams of the 80's under a fantastic John Elway we went into this Superbowl thinking Manning's arm would overcome a defense that had us figured out in preseason. Of the two back to back Superbowls we won what were the common factors that Elway finally had? Tough strong players, a good hard hitting defense and a stellar running game with players that held onto the football. All season the turnovers were unforgivable. The players getting injured on every other play baffled me. Over and over each week we saw this but Manning's brilliant game control largely bailed us out. 

Greg Bedard summed it up pretty well: The Failure Was Total

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/03/super-bowl-48-what-went-wrong-for-denver-broncos/

It will be hard to expect anything else next year unless we have one heck of a defensive draft off season. I guess we will see. Even though I have watched them lose 4 Superbowls I have seen them win 2 and be in 6 total. I guess that is more than some fans can ask for. 




No comments:

Post a Comment